Do you want to learn how to do handstand pushups?
Don’t know how to do a handstand push up or where to begin?
Then, you’ll love this crash course on how to do handstand pushups!
Preparing for Handstand Pushups
Get a thick mat for shock absorption…
You may come down quick on your first attempts, so you need the cushion.
Always wear shoes for safety.
How to Do Handstand Push Ups with Wall Support
- Place your palms on the ground about shoulder-width apart with your fingertips about 6-12 inches from the wall.
- Keep your arms extended, look toward your hands.
- Stagger your feet, then explosively press through the balls of your feet and aim for your heels to connect with the wall.
- Extend your legs and allow them to balance you with the support of the wall.
- Bend at the elbows 90° and stop just as your head makes contact with the ground.
- Press through your palms and extend your arms to return to the start position.
- When you are finished, collapse your knees and bring your feet down toward the ground.
- Your first attempt may not be graceful, hence the mat and shoes for shock absorption.
How to Hold a Handstand…When You Can Hardly Do a Handstand Pushup
If getting into the straight-arm position is too difficult…
Ease into this exercise by practicing the Tripod exercise (see this post).
Once your legs are balanced on the wall…slowly walk your hands to
Slowly walk your hands outside of your head.
The difficult part is getting pushed to the top position…
And the first repetition of the handstand pushup is ALWAYS the hardest.
Return to the mat in the same sequence as listed above.
How to Use Handstand Pushups in Your Home Workout Plan
If you enjoyed this post, then please share it with someone you may think would like it.
Also, subscribe to this blog for updates and notifications.
If you want a full home workout plan that incorporates handstand pushups…
Then, head over to this link for a ton of great workout routines.